At the same time that Tor Books was publishing its Crossroads series of interactive novels based on popular fantasy series, Ace produced these books, each of which is set in the world of a well-known science fiction author. Both the Crossroads and Combat Command series feature game systems designed by Bill Fawcett; while Crossroads was RPG-inspired, these books seem to have their roots more firmly in wargames. At various points in the adventures, military units must perform special actions or battle one another; at these times, a system using six attributes (Manpower, Ordnance, Attack Strength, Melee Strength, Stealth and Morale), multiple tables, and a pair of six-sided dice comes into play. Although the original authors of the works that inspired these books contributed to little of the actual writing of the series, they did in most cases at least provide a forward or afterword.
Gamebooks1. Piers Anthony's Bio of a Space Tyrant: Cut by Emerald
2. Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers: Shines the Name
3. Keith Laumer's Star Colony: The Omega Rebellion
4. David Drake's Hammer's Slammers: Slammers Down
5. Jack Williamson's The Legion of Space: The Legion at War
6. Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber: The Black Road War
7. Jerry E. Pournelle's Janissaries: Lord of Lances
8. Gordon R. Dickson's Dorsai: Dorsai's Command
9. Robert Asprin's Cold Cash War: Cold Cash Warrior
No comments available.
Please log in to leave a comment.